Just for a change, instead of highlighting the dozen songs served up by my iPod’s shuffle system, here are the ones I’m playing through choice. My current favourite non-jazz tracks, in fact.
- Almost Liverpool 8 : Mike Hart, from Mike Hart Bleeds
- Better Things : Massive Attack featuring Tracey Thorn, from Solo: Songs & Collaborations 1982-2015
- Donall Og : Maighread Ni Dhomhnaill, Triona Ni Dhomnaill & Donal Lunny, from Between The Two Lights
- Freedom for the Stallion : Allen Toussaint, from Songbook
- Gliders, Parks : The Liverpool Scene featuring Mike Hart, from The Amazing Adventures of the Liverpool Scene
- Her Ghost : Woman’s Hour, from Conversations
- I’d Rather Leave While I’m In Love : Dusty Springfield, from Something Special
- Mustt Mustt : Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (Massive Attack remix), from Mustt Mustt
- Never Not You (Remember to Breathe) : Girlboy, from Late Bloomers
- New Orleans : John Stewart, from The Day The River Sang
- 28 Years : Girlboy, from Late Bloomers
- You Tattoed Me : Tom Robinson, from Still Loving You
Alphabetically listed, of course, and lacking the need for much explication. Except to acknowledge the two Mike Hart tracks were occasioned by the recent sad news of his death; that I first heard this version of Irish song, Donall Og, when it was one of Colm Toibin’s choices on Desert Island Discs and I’ve had trouble getting it out of my mind since; and that Tom Robinson’s You Tattoed Me is one of the most forcefully passionate and believable songs about love and desire that I know.