- Memory Wall : Anthony Doerr
- When The Light Goes : Larry McMurtry
- The Illuminations : Andrew O’Hagen
- The End of Vandalism : Tom Drury
- Complications : Atul Gawande
- Clothes Music Boys: A Memoir : Viv Albertine
- Selected Poems : James Schuyler
Plus, of course, more David Kynaston – currently around 1952.
Oh, and the marvellous portrait of Schuyler reproduced on the cover of his Selected Poems is by Fairfield Porter.
New year, new books! Some from Santa, chimney soot still caught in the corners, others courtesy of a pre-Christmas shopping excursion to the Owl Bookshop in Kentish Town. The order is the order in which I’ll probably read them … the Byrne is my current designated bedside reading, while the Finkel, which I’ve already started, and which it would be dangerous to read too close to dream time, is, like its predecessor, The Good Soldiers, cut so close to the bone – and perfectly so – that I can only take it in small doses, a chapter at a time.
- Thank You For Your Service : David Finkel
- How Music Works : David Byrne
- Full Measure : T. Jefferson Parker
- Infidelities : Kirsty Gunn
- Circular Breathing – The Cultural Politics of Jazz in Britain : George McKay
- Ancient Sunlight : Stephen Watts
- Ex-Ville : Rhona McAdam
… and I shall be slowly but pleasurably working my way through David Kynaston’s history of post-war Britain, with the second volume, Family Britain 1951 – 57.